TO CELEBRATE AND SHARE THE KIND OF TOURISM WE BELIEVE IN:
- promoting values such as sustainability, biodiversity, respect for local people, traditions, animals and the environment on tour, during local events, through social media and on our website
- featuring Slow Food Presidia (worldwide initiatives that support quality production at risk of extinction) on all of our tours through visits and tastings
- staying in agriturismi (“farm stays” that combine agriculture and tourism through transformed farmhouses) and albergi diffusi (“dispersed hotels” that preserve and revivify historic buildings)
- visiting the less known, less celebrated corners of Italy that nonetheless hold deep stories of incredible people connected to beautiful lands and traditions
TO MINIMIZE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT:
- recycling plastic, water and paper not only at home but also on tour and on our events, reducing and properly disposing of all litter
- purchasing carbon footprint offset certificates from reputable organizations which invest in renewable energy and methane capture projects, such as Terra Pass, and Carbonfund which support emission reduction projects in communities around the United States.
- planting trees to offset our carbon emissions with Treedom, whose mission is to make the world a better place, one tree at a time
- recycling plastic, water, and paper at home but on our tours, reducing and properly disposing of all litter
- purchasing carbon footprint offset certificates from reputable organizations that invest in renewable energy, methane capture projects, and emissions reductions around the U.S., such as Terra Pass and Carbonfund.
- offsetting carbon emissions with Treedom, whose aim is to make the world a better place, one tree at a time
TO AVOID FOOD WASTE: Endeavoring always to order food in the right, satisfying amounts
TO CONSIDER ALL OF OUR STAKEHOLDERS IN THE WORK THAT WE DO: Guests, employees, suppliers, community, and the environment. We work hard to limit our footprint and leave a positive handprint [see below]. We are a proud certified B Corporation.
TO INVEST IN THE PLACES WE VISIT AND ORGANIZATIONS THAT SHARE OUR VALUES: Featuring restaurants, farmers and artisans who produce “good, clean and fair food” and donating more than 1% of our annual sales revenues (as of December 2019 we have donated more than $22,000) to food literacy and environmental non-profit organizations. We are a proud member of 1% for the Planet. [See below who we support.]
Please feel free to contact us for suggestions and comments,
We love to promote those food literacy and environmental organizations who move and inspire us to do our part for the local community. We also support them financially through direct donations. Here are some of our favorites so far:
- 1% for the Planet building, supporting and activating an alliance of businesses financially committed to creating a healthy planet
- Carbonfund selling emissions-reduction certificates to offset carbon emission (1% for the Planet member)
- Cooperativa Dalla Stessa Parte creating jobs for differently-abled people in agriculture and manufacturing
- Cooking Matters empowering families with skills to stretch their food budgets and cook healthy at home
- Hawthorne Valley Farm producing high quality, biodynamic and organic foods while providing farm-based learning experiences for children and adults
- Hawthorne Valley Association growing social and cultural renewal through the integration of education, agriculture and the arts
- Island Creek Foundation envisioning a world where all people have uninterrupted access to nutritious, sustainably grown food
- Massachusetts Horticultural Society encouraging the science and practice of horticulture and developing public enjoyment, appreciation, and understanding of plants and the environment
- Patagonia Action Works supporting grassroots activists working to find solutions to the environmental crisis
- Slow Food linking the pleasure of good food with a commitment to local communities and the environment
- TerraPass selling emissions reduction projects certificates to offset carbon emissions (another B Corporation)
- Treedom planting trees, you can see here how we do our small part to help (another B Corporation)
- Vermont Fresh Network advancing relationships among farmers, chefs, and eaters to grow markets
- Water.org visioning safe water and the dignity of a toilet for all
- Wholesome Wave fostering linkages between local agriculture and under-served communities, imagining a more vibrant and equitable food system for all people
Food.Stories.Travel. became a Certified B Corporation in 2014. B Corps are a new type of company that uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. B Corp is to business what Fair Trade is to coffee and what USDA Organic is to milk.
Food.Stories.Travel. was certified by the non-profit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. Unlike traditional corporations, Certified B Corporations are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions not only on their shareholders, but also on their stakeholders (e.g., workers, suppliers, community, consumers, and the environment).
As of the end of 2019, there are over 3,000 Certified B Corporations around the globe from 70 countries in over 150 industries all with a unifying goal. We are proud to join them in redefining success in business, so that one day everyone uses business as a force for good.