This 6-night journey offers the best of Piedmontese life, both on and off bike, through visits to small local producers and opportunities to meet the people behind your food. Enjoy your vacation at your own rhythm and discuss the culture and traditions of this delicious corner of Italy with native guides, collecting inspiring stories and unique recipes to try and share back home!
Come with us to discover our region: buon appetito and buon viaggio! (bon appetit and safe travels)
CYCLING TOUR IN PIEDMONT
TOUR DATES AND PRICES
Minimum of 8 participants, maximum of 14, with a maximum guide-to-guest ratio of 1 to 8
DATES (7 days)
September 27-October 3, 2020 | September 26-October 2, 2021
For more info, other dates and availability please contact us.
Per person in double occupancy: from $3,990 to $4,390 in 2020 and from $4,090 to $4,490 in 2021
(this tour will feature elegant 4-star hotels and tour price will vary depending on group size)
Single Supplement: $690
In addition, we pledge to donate more than 1% of your trip price to food literacy and environmental non profit organizations
- Visits and tastings to wine, chocolate and cheese makers that demonstrate the best of Piedmont culinary heritage
- Exposure to local culture and history with native, bilingual, local experienced Tour Leaders
- Elegant and traditional accommodation in 4-star hotels
- Unforgettable meals featuring the local cuisine including one dinner with truffles
- Up-close-and-personal experiences of an Italian agriturismo and the methods behind Piedmont cuisine and agriculture
- Strolls through four must-to-see Piedmont towns: Alba, Barbaresco, Barolo and Acqui Terme
- Exhilarating rides and opportunities to improve your cycling skills with your Tour Leaders
- Some of the most famous wines of Italy, such as Barolo, Barbaresco, Barbera, as well as the lesser-known Grignolino, Dolcetto, Brachetto, and Favorita
- Traditional, local recipes to bring home with you!
This itinerary has been meticulously designed based on Food.Stories.Travel.’s unforgettable past experiences and favorite flavors. Every single establishment you visit has been personally vetted, tested and enjoyed.
In some cases we’ll take you to places you could not find by yourself or in a guidebook.
If you prefer to arrive the day before please let us know and we will help you organize your pre night at the same hotel used on tour, and early transfer from Turin airport at additional price. This is recommended just to allow you more time to settle in and get ready for the tour.
Cycling Route Info on day 1: Main Route: 15mi/1150ft of elevation gain | Extra loop adds: 6mi/450ft
Cycling Route Info on day 2: Main Route 23mi/1000ft | Extra loop adds: 7mi/1200ft or more!
In the morning catch our group transfer from Turin airport to your hotel in the Roman town of Alba, famous for its wines, truffles (and Nutella!), and the UNESCO World Heritage site of Langhe that we explore by bicycle surrounded by undulating vineyards and majestic Alps.
Highlights here include a visit to Barbaresco village, our elegant hotel in a historic building right in the center of Alba, wine tasting and visit in Barolo at the local regional wine cellar housed in a castle, a truffle-hunting demo followed by dinner featuring this noble and revered underground mushroom (upon availability), and our visit to an agriturismo (a family-run “farm stay” combining agriculture and tourism) for a pasta-cooking demo and “zero-mile dinner” with local ingredients.
Cycling Route Info on day 3: Main Route: 40mi/3700ft | Shorter Route with initial van transfer: 31mi/2100ft | Extra loop adds: 3mi/300ft
Cycling Route Info on day 4: Main Route: 27mi/2300ft | Extra loop adds: 20mi/1700ft or more!
Next we make our way to Acqui Terme, another elegant Roman town famous for its natural hot springs in the town center. This is another perfect place to savor the best expressions of Piedmont’s signature flavors such as robiola cheese, amaretti cookies and Brachetto, Moscato, and Dolcetto wines.
This area called “High Monferrato” is nestled between the northwestern coastal region of Liguria and the Langhe area, and offers more hills with vineyards to discover by bike.
We won’t soon forget our second wine tasting, sampling the incredible recipes of Mamma Diliana while savoring the indigenous grapes that this family has been growing here for more than a century since the great-grandfather originally acquired the land!
Cycling Route Info on day 5: Main Route: 35mi/2300ft | Extra loop adds: 15mi/1600ft or more!
Cycling Route Info on day 6: Main Route: 30mi/2700ft | Extra loop adds: 7mi/600ft or more!
Our grand finale is the countryside near the town of Gavi, famous for its wine, at a romantic hotel surrounded by vineyards. This elegant resort features a unique restaurant and winery that we visit for another wine tasting emphasizing the native Cortese grape.
We visit the former house of Fausto Coppi, which features a museum about one of the greatest cycling champions of the past century, that includes bicycles, jerseys, old newspaper clippings and more. And finally, we meet a nearby chocolate maker for a visit and sample of his revered art in sweet form!
Our food journey concludes with a final dinner celebrating local recipes, an array of wines, and our great memories of an unforgettable tour together.
Catch our group transfer to Turin airport. If you have more time consider extending your stay in the area. Arvezze, neh! (Goodbye in Piedmontese)
- 6 nights of accommodation in 4-star hotels
- 6 breakfasts and 3 lunches
- 5 dinners (1 with truffles) each with either a 3- or 4-course menu
- Walks with your guides in Barbaresco, Alba, Barolo and Acqui Terme’s historic centers
- Entry fees at Fausto Coppi’s former house & museum
- 3 visits and tastings to local wineries
- 1 pasta-making demonstration in an agriturismo
- 1 truffle-hunting demonstration and 1 visit and tasting at a cheese maker
- 1 visit and tasting at a chocolate factory
- Bike rental (see more info here) and Garmin Touring Edge unit (if you have one, bring yours and we’ll upload the routes onto your unit)
- Comfortable transportation and assistance by 9-seat van for all travel on tour as cited in the itinerary
- Refreshments, snacks, fruits and other local delicacies during our rides
- Two bilingual, professional Tour Leaders (both native Piedmontese!)
- One group transfer to/from Turin airport at the beginning and at the end of tour
- Local taxes and gratuities for luggage porters and restaurant servers during tour
- 3 lunches and 1 dinner on your own
- Alcoholic beverages at group dinners (including wine and spirits)
- Round-trip airfare and expenses to/from the tour
- E-bike, upon request and availability, with $100-200 surcharge depending on the type (see more info here)
- Trip cancellation, baggage loss or travel delay insurance (this optional coverage is highly recommended and is not provided by Food.Stories.Travel.)
- Gratuities for your Tour Leaders
- Personal expenses, such as, but not limited to, phone calls, laundry, emails, snacks, gifts