by Silvia at Azienda Agricola Mandranova near Agrigento in Sicily
You might enjoy this recipe on our tours in Sicily or try at home using just a few ingredients!
Ingredients for 6 people:
- 200 grams (4-5) egg whites
- 135 grams (2/3 cup) of sugar – I prefer to use only 75 grams (1/3 cup)
- 150 grams peeled almonds
- zest of 1 organic lemon
- Separate egg whites from yolks. Whip egg whites with a pinch of salt until it becomes frothy
- Put sugar, almond and lemon zest in food processor until this mixture is finely blended
- Then fold very gently the whipped egg whites into the mixture, trying to keep it fluffy and soft
- Pour the batter in a ~10-inch pan
- Bake for about ~35 minutes at 360 F.
Let it cool, then slice, and buon appetito